Philippine Register of Shipping, Inc. (PRS) is the first and leading Filipino Classification Society established since 1989. PRS is driven by the most competent technical professionals from the Philippine maritime industry and is backed by the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Inc. (SONAME).
Rebrands. PRS responds to the changing maritime landscape and rebranded its corporate image last May 2016 with modern logos, and adopted the “Safe Seas Always” advocacy – “safe seas” not only connoting calm seas but also safe ships classed by PRS.
PRS’ Manila and Cebu offices have been newly renovated and moved to locations nearest to their shipping clients. PRS’ new offices are located at T.M. Kalaw Avenue, Ermita, Manila; and M.J. Cuenco Avenue, in front of Plaza Independencia, Cebu City. PRS has also opened its newest office in General Santos, Mindanao.
Expands. Subsidiary companies have been established, namely the PRS Technical Services, Inc. (PRS TECH) offering marine consultancy services and the PRS Quality Assurance, Inc. (PRS QA) offering management system certification services to the Philippine maritime industry.
PRS TECH services offer:
- H&M and P&I Condition Surveys
- On Hire / Off Hire Surveys
- Pre-purchase Surveys
- Towage Approval Surveys
- Grounding and Collision Surveys
- Cargo Damage Surveys and Investigations
- Pollution Surveys
- Fire Investigations
- Expert Witness
- Risk Evaluation and Analysis
- Superintendency and Repair Supervision
- Naval Architecture and Ship Design
- Project Cargo surveys
- Nickel Ore Loading Surveys
- Management System Development Consultancy
- JH143 Shipyard and Risk Assessment Surveys
PRS QA services offer:
- ISO certification of various management systems, validation and verification of these management systems in compliance with national and international standards; and
- Public or in-company training events (like ISO trainings) including customized training solutions or multi-disciplinary training which can better equip companies in implementing their management system.
PRS supports MARINA with latest technology on Probabilistic Damage Stability Calculations. As the 31-October-2016 deadline which was later postponed to January 2017 for MARINA Circular 2015-08 on Rules and Regulations on Subdivision and Damage Stability Requirements nears, PRS has signed a Memorandum of Agreement last 26-September-2016 with the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) and the SONAME to further support MARINA in its capacity-building for the full implementation of this important Circular.
The PRS was the main presenter during the 2016 SONAME Technical Seminar held last 28-October-2016 at H2O Hotel, Manila. The technical event is annually organized by SONAME. It coincided with their Annual General Membership Meeting and Oath taking of the 2016 Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Board Passers for Naval Architects.
The PRS held its Annual General Membership Meeting and Election of Board of Trustees recently on 01-March-2017, and subsequently elected its new set of officers for 2017-2018 last 15-March-2017 at its Manila headquarters. The first and largest Filipino classification society is now led by the following, whose terms commenced on 01-April-2017.
List of PRS Officers and Trustees:
- Chairman: Engr. Sammuel Lim
- Vice Chairman: Engr. Rolando Abella
- President: Engr. William Hernandez
- Vice President: Engr. Thaddeus Jovellanos
- Treasurer: Mr. Carlos Yturzaeta, CPA
- Secretary: Atty. David Angelo Abesames
- Legal Counsel: Atty. Agusto Perez
- Trustee: C/E Michael Armamento
- Trustee: C/E Alejandro R. Balaoing
- Trustee: Engr. Jose Flores
- Trustee: Engr. Roberto Oliveros
- Trustee: Engr. Edward Cruz
- Trustee: Capt. Ronald Enrile
- Trustee: C/E Alfredo Haboc
- Trustee: Mr. Roberto Umali
Congratulations to the new and stronger leadership who are tasked to sustain our “Safe Seas Always” advocacy for a safer maritime Philippines.